In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the Breville Bambino vs Bambino Plus. We’ll compare and contrast their features, benefits, and drawbacks.
You have a myriad of options in today’s market when purchasing an espresso machine. To help you make the right choice, we’ve put together this review to help you feel confident in your purchase.
Breville has been a trusted name in the espresso industry for a long time. And their Bambino and Bambino Plus models are two of the most popular on the market today.
They’re both affordable, easy to use, and produce great-tasting espresso. So, how do you choose between the Breville Bambino and the Bambino Plus? Read on to find out more about each machine. And also to get our recommendation for which one is the better choice for your coffee needs.
The Breville Bambino and the Bambino Plus at a Glance
Both models have similar build qualities, features, and sleek designs signature to Breville espresso machines. Although, we believe the Bambino takes the lead when compared to the Breville Bambino Plus.
Before we get into why we think that, we’ll give you a quick overview of the pros and cons of each machine on its own. This will help you get a general sense of what they offer without being compared to one another.
Pros and Cons of the Breville Bambino
To start, let’s take a look at the Bambino Espresso Maker. Breville’s Bambino machine is a great choice for espresso makers, here’s why:
- Easy to use. This machine is designed for anyone, regardless of experience level. It has user-friendly features that do most of the work for you.
- Compact size. The Breville Bambino is one of the smallest espresso machines on the market. This factor makes it a great choice if you’re short on counter space.
- Fast heat-up time. The water can heat up in as little as 3 seconds so that you can get your espresso fix quickly.
- Budget-friendly. The Breville Bambino is an affordable option for a high-quality machine.
- Manual steam wand. This manual wand gives you more freedom to try some latte art. You can also customize the milk for your espresso drinks. This is great for plant-milk alternatives that require different temperatures and steam times.
- Hot Water Dispenser. You also use the wand to dispense hot water for americanos or tea.
- No built-in grinder. The Breville Bambino doesn’t have a built-in grinder. So you’ll need to buy one separately if you don’t already have one. This adds to the overall cost of the machine.
- One-year warranty. Other Breville espresso machines have a two-year warranty.
- Manual Steam Wand. The manual steam wand gives you more control. But it also requires more practice to get the perfect mil texture for your drinks.
In summary, the Breville Bambino is an excellent choice for espresso drinkers. It’s easy to use, compact, fast, and cost-effective.
Pros and Cons of the Breville Bambino Plus
Next, we will look at the pros and cons of Breville’s Bambino Plus espresso machine. This model was inspired by the Bambino and has many similar pros and cons, with a few differing features.
- Automatic milk texturing. This machine comes with automatic milk frothing so that you can make lattes and cappuccinos with the push of a button.
- Two-year warranty. The Breville Bambino Plus has a two-year warranty. This gives you extra peace of mind if anything goes wrong with your machine.
- Large water tank. The water tank on the Breville Bambino Plus holds up to 64 fluid ounces.
- Multiple colors to choose from. There are nine different colors to choose from, so you can pick the one that best fits your kitchen.
- Not budget-friendly. This option might be out of reach for some people. Or simply more than they are interested in spending on an at-home espresso maker.
- No hot water dispenser. This is an inconvenience if you want to make americanos or tea. You’ll need to boil water separately.
- No built-in grinder. Just like the Bambino, the Breville Bambino Plus doesn’t have a built-in grinder.
Overall, the Breville Bambino Plus is a great machine with some convenient automatic features. However, it is a pricy investment for a personal espresso machine.
Breville Bambino vs Bambino Plus
Now that we have gone over the pros and cons of each espresso machine separately let’s compare some of their features side-by-side.
Design And Build Quality
The Breville Bambino measures 6.3″ x 13.7″ x 12″, while the Breville Bambino Plus is slightly larger at 7.7″ x 12.6″ x 12.2″ inches. This is an important feature to pay attention to for people who are limited on counter space.
The Bambino’s warranty is good for one year, while the Breville Bambino Plus has a two-year warranty. With that being said, they are both made from high-quality stainless steel and durable features, so you can be confident that they will last for many years.
The use of stainless steel as a construction material is an excellent touch for both machines due to its sleek design and durability. It is also environmentally friendly as it is 100% recyclable.
The Breville Bambino Plus comes in nine different color options, while the Breville Bambino only comes in one. This is beneficial if you want to match your espresso machine to your kitchen’s décor.
Although, the brushed stainless steel featured on the Breville Bambino is still a classic and timeless look that will look nice in any kitchen.
The drip tray’s on both machines are easy to remove and dishwasher safe. However, the integrated temperature sensor in the base of the Breville Bambino Plus leaves less room for the already compact drip tray.
When comparing the water reservoir, the Breville Bambino has a 47 fluid-ounce water tank. In contrast, the Breville Bambino Plus has a larger tank holding 64 fluid ounces of water.
A suggested “moderate” amount of coffee falls around 3-5 cups daily, or 24-40 fluid ounces. So although this may seem like a beneficial feature, it won’t make much of a difference unless you are making coffee for multiple people.
All in all, both options are high-quality espresso machines that produce tasty coffee and look great in any kitchen. The Breville Bambino Plus does have some added features and an extended warranty. Still, it is larger and almost doubles the price.
For those reasons, we suggest the Breville Bambino as a better option for most people regarding design and build quality as there are not any significant factors that make it worth the extra cost.
The brew performance on the Breville Bambino and the Breville Bambino Plus are both impressive. The compact size of both models does not take away from the quality of the espresso they can produce.
Both machines feature a 15-bar Italian pump which is the maximum pressure that home espresso machines can have. This is the pressure typically used in professional cafes, so you know it is more than enough to produce quality espresso drinks.
The thermojet system in both machines heats up the water in three seconds. This great feature will have you racing to put your coffee cup under the brew head as soon as you turn on the machine. Or maybe you should just do that beforehand…
Each brewing system has a PID temperature controller that helps to regulate the water temperature. This means that your espresso will always be extracted at the perfect temperature for a flavor that is never too bitter or sour.
As you can see, the brewing systems on both machines are generally the same. Breville has outdone themselves in this department and has created two machines that produce exceptional espresso.
Given the price difference, we think that the Breville Bambino is the better choice when it comes to brewing performance, as it produces espresso that is just as good as the Breville Bambino Plus.
Ease of Use
The Breville Bambino and Breville Bambino Plus are both very user-friendly espresso machines. Breville has done a great job helping us all become talented baristas in the comfort of our homes.
So what determines the ease of use factor? We think it depends on how much effort is required to produce a great cup of espresso and how simple the machine is to operate and maintain.
With that being said, both machines are semi-automatic espresso machines. This means that they have automatic features to help with the espresso-making process as well as manual functions so that you can customize your espresso drinks to your liking.
Both machines have a pre-infusion function that saturates the coffee grounds with water before brewing. This helps to produce a more even extraction and results in a better-tasting espresso, which, unless you are a pro, might be tough to do on your own.
Regarding ease of use, we think the Breville Bambino and Breville Bambino Plus are both great options with simple controls to help out during those sleepy mornings or busy afternoons.
Milk Frothing Features
Now let’s talk about the milk-frothing features. The Breville Bambino comes with a manual frothing pitcher, while the Breville Bambino Plus comes with an automatic steam wand.
The automatic steam wand is a great feature if you want to achieve that perfect microfoam texture without effort or experience.
The manual frothing pitcher is still a great option if you want more freedom in how you froth your milk or you want to make latte art and don’t mind doing it the old-fashioned way.
As I mentioned, the manual steam wand may be a better option for plant-based milk as they require specific steaming techniques. The automatic steam wand is not as effective at steaming plant-based milk.
With that being said, this choice is highly based on preference. Breville has made it possible for everyone to enjoy making espresso drinks at home, no matter their experience level or frothing method of choice.
Let’s talk accessories.
Both machines come equipped with the following accessories:
- One cup & two cup Single Wall & Dual Wall Filter Baskets – you can make espressos for one or two people at a time. Or, let’s be realistic, a double shot for yourself.
- Milk Jug – for all of your milk-frothing needs.
- Cleaning tools – to help keep your machine in tip-top shape.
- Tamper – pack your coffee grounds tightly into the filter baskets.
- Portafilter – to hold your coffee grounds.
The Breville Bambino Plus comes with these additional accessories:
- Razor™ Precision Dosing Tool – to help you evenly distribute your coffee grounds into the filter baskets for better extraction.
- Stainless steel milk jug – in comparison to the Breville Bambino’s plastic milk jug
The Breville Bambino Plus has a leg up on the Breville Bambino in this category. But is it worth the extra price? We will let you be the judge of that.
Looking at all of the features we have discussed, we will now compare the overall value.
When it comes to value, we think it is essential to consider the quality of the machine, how often you will use it, the specific features, and if the price is worth the extra features.
The main difference in value boils down to the milk-frothing features. While this may be an important factor for some, others may find that the manual frothing pitcher does the job just fine.
We find that the Breville Bambino has everything you need regarding value while still coming in at a lower price point.
What Breville Bambino Model Is Best Overall?
As you can see, both machines are great choices. Breville Bambino’s is less expensive compared to the Breville Bambino Plus. For that reason, we rate the Breville Bambino as having a better overall bang for your buck when you consider both costs and features.
The Breville Bambino comes with all the features necessary to make a delicious espresso while still being user and budget friendly.
What Is the Best Breville Bambino Model for You?
To decide what Breville espresso maker is suitable for you, we have broken down Breville Bambino users into three different buyer types.
The Classic Buyer: You want to make a great, classic latte easily but prefer the traditional way of milk frothing. Go with the Breville Bambino. The added features on the Breville Bambino Plus won’t matter much to you.
The Efficiency Buyer: You love your morning cappuccinos but might find it challenging to master the art of frothing and aren’t worried about the extra cost. The Breville Bambino Plus is the espresso machine for you.
The Thrifter Buyer: You value a great-tasting espresso, but you want it at a steal, and you’re willing to learn the skill of frothing to save some extra cash. The Breville Bambino will fit into all of your budgeting and espresso needs.
Let’s Wrap Things up by Saying:
Plenty of espresso makers are out on today’s market and choosing the one that’s best for you can be overwhelming. In this article, we covered two options that are sure to make those early mornings a little more exciting.
While we prefer the Beneville Bambino for reasons previously discussed, both options are great all things considered. We hope this helps you make a confident discussion when choosing the espresso maker that’s best for you.
If you are ready to make espresso, make sure to read out top recommendations of The Best Espresso Beans.